Workshop 24/11

In the workshop session that took place today, we were asked to research a product/project/material of our choice.

The product that I chose to study was Sugru, the mouldable glue. It allows the user to shape it, mould it, and reposition it as required in the time-span of 30 minutes. When dried, it goes from a play dough like consistency to a flexible silicone rubber, allowing it to bend with the artefact, such as charging cables. Moreover, Sugru is waterproof and durable, making it safe to use outdoors under prolonged exposure to the sun, rain and even the sea.

Here is a video depicting Sugru’s full potential:

I chose this product because ever since I was introduced to Sugru, I have been fascinated by the technology used to produce it. The concept of fixing something without making a mess, while it stays as aesthetically pleasing (if not more) was somewhat alien to us all. Before Sugru, once the charging cables, headphones or other wired equipment had come apart, it had to be thrown away. However, Sugru provides a quick fix to extend the objects life.

Using the mouldable glue is also good for the environment as less waste ends up in landfills, further relating its concept to “Design to Minimise Waste” from TEDS Ten. When I came across Sugru, I was reminded of Dispatchwork by Jan Vormann. The artist uses Lego bricks to fill the gaps created between bricks in the walls and to eliminate signs of wear and tear. The Lego blocks add colour and character to an otherwise boring brick wall, like Sugru which comes in a range of colours.

Dispatchwork – Jan Vormann
Dispatchwork – Jan Vormann

Next, we were asked to discuss the product of our choice in a small group and the ways in which it relates to TED’s Ten. A common theme was that all of us in the group had chosen projects/products that fell under the vast umbrella of “Design to Minimise Waste”. We looked at our products in context of Textile Design and Spatial Design.

Here are some images of our work:

The next task was to put the ten strategies of TED’s Ten into the order of relevance to our work. Prioritising the strategies was not an easy task as they were all significant to my practice to an extent.

This is my order:

1.(6) Design that takes models from Nature and History.

As an Interior and Spatial designer its important to acknowledge the work done in our practice in the past so we can improve our approach and learn from mistakes while working with structures and buildings for the future.

Taking nature into consideration is also crucial as we need to build our societies to accommodate the processes of nature rather than eliminating it from our path.

2. (10) Design Activism

3. (9) Design to De-Materialise and Develop Systems and Services

4. (1) Design to Minimise Waste

5. (7) Design for Ethical Production

6. (2) Design for Cyclability

7. (8) Design to Reduce the Need to Consume

8. (3) Design to Reduce Chemical Impacts

9. (4) Design to Reduce Energy and Water Use

10. (5) Design that Explores Clean/Better Technologies

References

sugru.com. (2018). Home. [online] Available at: https://sugru.com/

Jan Vormann. (2018). Dispatchwork. [online] Available at: https://www.janvormann.com/testbild/dispatchwork/